About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Saturday 15 October 2011

These boots were made for warming

Apparently the current bright sunshine and warm rays are going to disappear next week to be replaced by a cold snap with snow, ice and bitter temperatures.  This is, however, according to the "news" which is often reknown for sensationalising these things somewhat and so must be taken with a pinch of salt. But, as this current bright sunny climate and warm, if not baking, sunshine cannot last forever, it is inevitable that the cold snap will come at some point.

Whilst I enjoy a hot balmy summer's day as much as the next sunbather, I have always loved autumn and winter that little bit more.  I think this stems from a life time of not being skinny, which means that chunky jumpers, thick tights and woolly hats, gloves and scarves (matching of course) are more suited to disguising ones natural chunkiness than skimpy dresses and vest tops. There is something very satisfying about going out into the elements dressed in a stylish assortment of knitwear, a good winter coat and sturdy boots which make you feel warm, cosy and comfortable despite mother nature's best efforts to the contrary.  So, it is no surprise that I am quite excited about the latest news, just on the off chance that it actually happens.

Every year around now I treat myself to a couple of new pairs of boots from Duo, and this year is no exception.  I have a pair of mid calf tan leather Gaucho boots which have been worn in during September and October, and are ready for some proper thick sock winter use, and a pair of smart black boots with a sensible heel which will be perfect with dresses and trousers as well as making leggings look smarter.  The rule is that if I buy a new pair of functional boots I have to throw an old pair away which means last years old stalwarts which have been worn through to the ground have now been retired. Obviously a girl needs more than two pairs of boots, and at present some of last years and even the year before's more characterful pairs are still in good nick and so have been brought forward to the front of the shoe room ready for an outing when the weather turns. Later on, possibly just before Christmas I may recycle a pair of my more dressy boots to make way for a treat in the form of a shiney new pair, so that is something still to look forward to. But what I am really hoping for is when the big snow comes again. Then I can get my moon boots out, and they really do make an outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment