About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Sunday 23 October 2011

Just like the good old days

I think today I had the most 'normal' Saturday I've had for quite sometime.  My very good friend who we shall refer to as Essex girl came over for the day, we went for lunch and had a manicure. It's a bit odd to describe this behaviour as normal as even under normal circumstances these days we rarely spend the day in this way, but we have in the past spent a very enjoyable Saturday in town, wandering the shops and treating ourselves to a facial or a pedicure, and so the very fact that we spent today in this manner makes me think back to when life in general was normal, if you see what's mean.

Essex girl used to live in Greenwich and so before the arrival of her two offspring, arranging a weekend trip into town was relatively easy. Now, however, she and her lovely husband, CS, have upped sticks and moved to deepest darkest Essex which coupled with the afore mentioned children make the logistics of a day of carefree relaxation more tricky. But, as we have proved today, not impossible.  The lovely CS was left in charge of the children and Essex girl arrived at my house at around 12noon armed with delicious chocolate muffins and flowers. Mr Man was outplaying hockey and so after an energising muffin we headed off for a spot of lunch and a relaxing manicure.  I'd like to say that we hit the Kings Road and a decadent Chelsea spa, but the reality is a little less glamourous; we went to Beckenham, which whilst not as glitzy served its purpose with a nice little cafe and a friendly beauty place that could fit us in for a deluxe hand treatment and nail polish. 

So all in all a lovely day. Essex girl and I talked about lots of things which is good as I tend to find a lot of my conversations these days revolve around he same topics (me, chemo and how other key people in my life are dealing with it) and so it's  always nice to stretch my brain cells a bit and discuss other topics. I got to get out of my local vicinity and a change of scenery is always refreshing, Essex girl had a relaxing day without the children and we both now have beautiful nails (mine a khaki green colour, hers a mink brown hue). CS no doubt had an exhausting day in charge back home in Essex, but he will be rewarded for his toils as Essex girl and I have agreed that it would be ok for CS and Mr Man to go out for a couple of jars together on a Saturday night no less, which Mr Man is already VERY excited about, so everyone is happy. Now we have proved that it can be done with a bit of organisation, I look forward to spending similar days out with Essex girl again soon. Maybe if we try really hard to co-ordinate we can get Essex girl, CS, Mr Man and myself all together for a catch up at the same time. Now that really would be like the good old days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment