About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Sunday 23 October 2011

Borg me up Scottie

Tomorrow I am going to the hospital to be fitted with a port. The BF cruelly described it as becoming part Borg as this is basically like a plug socket into my veins. This will mean I don't have to have cannulas fitted every time I need an intravenous injection or drip or a blood sample taken. Initially I was very sceptical and more than a little bit squeamish about this concept but after one cycle of chemo and related  tests all involving needles and veins, I think it is for the best. 

Whilst the Borg reference may seem a little unkind, after a bit of thought it is actually quite appropriate. As a teenager I quite liked Star Trek (The next generation era) which I was admittedly first introduced to by an early boyfriend, but continued to like of my own accord long after he ceased to be significant. My favourite character was Data as he had an enquiring mind and a strong sense of logic even when he was learning his emotions. That'll be the Android in him and me probably.

The Borg as I recall were a race who were hell bent on self improvement. They were focused on assimilating their prey and taking on board their knowledge and skills for the benefit of Borgkind. They were a kind of collective controlled and managed by the Borg Queen who lived in the heart of the Delta Quadrant. So I guess that decides which Borg I'm going to be then. 

Anyone familiar with any element of star trek will recall that there was one phrase most commonly used against anyone who came up against the Borg. I'd like to think,therefore, that as I become part Borg to make things easier for me and the nursing staff in my conflict against the invading cancerous forces, the same message applies; Resistance is futile. The Borg Queen has spoken. 

4 comments:

  1. OMG- you're a Trekkie!!! Arrrrrgggghhhh! Please tell me you've never been to a convention dressed as a klingon ( knowing you in some outfit that you put together out of some old loo rolls and a pair of wellies). Were the Borgs the ones who travelled around in a Cube and kept attacking the bald guy? Oh god I'm ashamed that I know there is such a thing as a cube and a bald guy- blast my older brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to a convention and probably have not watched an episode since I was a student... I think you know more about the Trekkies than you're letting on. I looked it up on Wikipedia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know awful isn't it- I know a ridiculous amount about Star Trek, Star Wars (episodes 4-6, or the original ones starring Indiana Jones and Luke Starwalker), Airwolf, Nightrider, Macgyver, and Tour of Duty- don't worry if you've never heard of the last 2 I think you had to be a teenage boy - or in the unfortunate position to be born thirteen months after a teenage boy and share a tv- to have ever seen them. I hope it all goes well tomorrow and I'm looking forward to pizza night.

    ReplyDelete