About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Saturday 8 October 2011

The only way is up

Exactly a year ago today, I spent the entire day waiting to be called down for surgery on my spine following a car accident I had in October 2008.  It was without the question the most painful day of my life, as despite being told that I was to be nil by mouth from midnight as my surgery was expected to be around 10am, I did not go to theatre until 8.20pm in the evening.  During this time the nurses refused to give me any water as the surgery slot was "imminent" and as dehydration kicked in, my head started to pound and I felt sick to my core.  I have never felt worse, before or since.  I was also very scared.  I had not had a major operation under general anaesthetic as an adult and I was struggling with the concept.  It was all in an all a horrible day.  One year on, and the neck is fine.  The scar has healed very nicely to an almost invisible line and the odd bit of clicking I get is very minor.  There is no pain unless I accidentally lie funnily on my pillows and so all in all, it was a resounding success.

Last year's experience has drawn a line in the sand.  It is the benchmark of feeling awful and not being able to do anything about it.  It is only when you have been so low that you can appreciate the view from the bottom of the canyon, and strive to climb back up again.  My experiences of this pesky disease so far have not been as bad as that one day in the hospital last year, and for that I am very grateful.  I am aware of the cumulative effects of chemotherapy which may make each cycle harder than the last, but at least I am now prepared for what a cycle can do to me, and so going forward I will know better what to expect, and forewarned is forearmed.

As I said, in yesterday's post, yesterday was tough.  I had no energy and felt terrible pains for most of the day. Today, has already been much better than yesterday.  Although I am still feeling the effects of fatigue I have managed to eat a lot more than yesterday which in turn has given me some strength and energy to move around the house an awful lot more that I did yesterday. I have also noticed that I have not needed my back up pain relief as much today as I have done before now, which I am taking as a good sign.  So, with about 50% more energy than I had yesterday, I am now off to buy a lottery ticket for this evenings draw.  I didn't win Euromillions last night as I forgot to buy a ticket, but today I am feeling lucky. So, this time next year I will be as fit as a fiddle, and of course a millionaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment