About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Thursday 22 September 2011

You can't beat a good list

I love a list. At work I have weekly to do lists which have invariably added more things on than get crossed off by the time Friday comes along.  At home I have lists of home improvements we should make, holidays and trips we are planning, and then closer to the departure date lists of what to take and what we will do when we are away.  I have lists for Christmas shopping  (although these will not be permitted until mid October) and any dinner party or celebratory occasion with have associated lists of menus, guests and timings.  Our wedding not only had a list, but its own fully integrated spreadsheet with hyperlinks, conditional colour formatting and a self calculating budget tracking tool.  Mr Man was only allowed read-only access however. Often very minor lists will just warrant a blank piece of paper and neat handwriting, or maybe a new page in an "everyday" note book, but some lists are worthy of a beautiful new piece of stationery just for that purpose.  I have been known to pre-emptively buy such notebooks for when a deserving list or collection of lists (which often become known as projects) may present itself.



So, it should come as no surprise that my latest "project" should have a book all of its own. Luckily I had the perfect piece of stationery already waiting in my desk drawer, and coupled with my very special pack of coloured gel ink rollerball pens and trusty colouring pencils (maybe a career change is on the cards after all?) it makes the perfect place to collect my necessary lists, silver linings and happy thoughts in glorious technicolour. It also fits perfectly into my handbag, and its hardback cover will be durable as I am sure it will do a lot of travelling over the next few months. Perfect!

So far there are some positive affirmations in my Happy Thoughts book, and little things that I use to perk me up whenever I need a little boost.  My newest list however, is my ever growing list of Project Team Members.  Currently covering two pages and in a lovely shade of green, it includes the names of the 72 people who have so far responded to this blog, either by following it, posting a comment, or (as in most cases) when technology is not on their side, have emailed, texted, facebooked or twittered me to pledge their support and send their love. I cannot promise that I will be able to reply to every message personally or quickly as time goes on, but I do promise that everyone who takes the time to communicate with me, even if just to say hello, will be added to the very auspicious Team Members list in my neatest handwriting.  I still need to think of a suitable project name, so all suggestions gratefully received.  You never know, you might win a highly coveted Silver Lined Badge.

No comments:

Post a Comment