About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Friday 23 September 2011

Highs and lows (part 2)

I am writing this post from the comfort of Starbucks on the Euston Road opposite Mr Man's office. I have just practically wolfed down a cheese and marmite panini and a skinny blueberry muffin and am sipping my green tea while it cools down. This is a great break through from earlier on today when I couldn't eat, was doubled up in pain and could not even contemplate leaving the house. So there is one positive thing already.

I am also now in a great mood. Almost euphoric. I'm sure my fellow starbuckers are giving me some very odd looks as I sit here grinning, giggling to myself as I jot a few thoughts down in my happy thoughts book, with bruises befitting a long term heroin addict on one arm and a large swab held on by tape on the other. But I don't care. I have three blue dot tattoos on my abdomen, a neat little folder of notes and FAQ's about radiotherapy in my bag, and most importantly, I have a plan.

Admittedly my perfectionist nature is shining through and I'm already trying to improve the plan by bringing the start date forward (I've done enough waiting recently and don't intend to do any more) but I have a cunning plan for that. So as it stands I have 28 dates with radiation booked in. The chemo will be added on top of that in the next week. I also have been marked ready for the treatment so am good to go. There is another positive thing.

And the other reason for my bizarre perkiness this Friday afternoon? Well, in a very weird co-incidence, my canula for the CT scan I had to have was put in by Mr Sanj Bassi,a very experienced and expensive neurosurgeon who happens to be the same chap who fixed my spine last year and left nothing but a very neat and perfectly healed now almost invisible scar behind. What he was doing there and why he ended up coming in to help with the canula is largely irrelevant. I'm not really sure why, but it made an otherwise unpleasant snd stressful experience, almost jovial. And it just goes to show that you should never underestimate the importance of a friendly face.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't have much luck trying to make a post on this the other day- clearly technologically challenged- hopefully this comes through otherwise I'll have to try again. I included lots of positive thoughts last time so hopefully they got through to you in the ether if not over the internet.

    Wishing you all the best and thinking of you. You're blog is amazing- such positivity.

    I can't believe you've got a tattoo! Are your dots in any kind of pattern? Perhaps for another list of things to do you can plan how you can improve the 3 dots into something better once you've beaten this- I have every faith you will.

    Let me know when you're up for visitors and I will be over, even if you just want someone else to take you're child chasing beast of a dog for a walk- Hi Barney!

    Speak soon, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an update- took me half an hour to get that to post- not many personal happy thoughts- called google a Knobhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh that was better got the hang of it now.

    Good luck, best wishes and happy thoughts to you.

    3 posts in as many minutes is more than enough sorry for clogging up the space ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Helen! Now if you could write some process notes and distribute them to everyone else who is struggling to make the posting and following thing work that would be great.... Go on. You know you love a good process note... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at long last I managed to figure out the technology. Keep strong Nikki. So glad you had a positive afternoon following such a not so positive start to they day. Keep blogging. See you soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete