About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Monday 19 September 2011

Weigh day Monday

I've been having an on and off battle with the bulge for the best part of the last 20 years. Much of this stems from the fact I enjoy food, but there is also an element of childhood conditioning which has been difficult to break.

An audit junior I once worked with made a great observation during a client visit in Amsterdam. "Eating is one of life's great pleasures".  Unfortunatley he then went on to say that he loved the fact that British girls were not afraid to enjoy food, unlike his then Argentinian girlfriend who was "too skinny".  The inference was not lost on me, and his sly words were repaid with a less than glowing post audit evaluation of his performance. Idiot.

When I was growing up, money was tight as my thrifty Northern born and bred parents made the move to the expensive South due to my Dad's job. As a result every penny spent on food was precious and waste was not tolerated.  You finished everything on your plate regardless, and besides this if you didn't eat the best bits immediately, they were in danger of being nicked by my Dad!

Anyway, all of this edible contemplation leads me nicely onto the fact that for the past few months I have really lost my appetite. This has resulted in some wasted food, I am sorry to say (although not that much as Mr Man has been happy to help me out on many occasions, to the extent that he now evaluates my plate when deciding how much to put on his own plate to begin with!) This coupled with the fact I am not able to enjoy alcohol at the moment even if I wanted to, makes me a very cheap but quite boring date. However, on the plus side I have almost effortlessly lost just over 2 stones in weight since May. Woo hoo! Whilst this is a lot more drastic than weight watchers or slimming world, it is a lot less stressful than either of those regimes. When I look in the mirror in the morning I don't see an unwell person, I see a thinner one, and this is a constant source of joy. When I am fully recovered Mr Man and I will be going on a much deserved holiday, and I know that I will be much more confident in a bikini than I have been for years. And as I am shrinking, it means that my clothes appear to be growing which means that I will need to invest in a whole new wardrobe, which in itself is a very exciting prospect.

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment