About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Monday 26 September 2011

If you don't ask you won't get

For as long as I can remember back into the distant mists of my childhood, my Mum told my sister and I that those who ask, don't get.  This was in the context of us asking for sweets, treats, staying up late, going to play with friends or in otherwords, anything which she did want us to have or do.  As an invariably precocious and difficult child, (I know, you would never guess would you?) I would challenge this and my logic was thus; if you don't ask you won't get because no one will know that you wanted it and assume you are happy without.  If you do ask, then at least you have registered an interest.  My irritating logical persistence, and my utter refusal to be wrong (its genetic, I get it from my Dad, he is NEVER wrong either apparently) did not wash with my Mum, and so whether I did or did not ask, I was never going to get what I wanted.

Luckily, stubborness is also genetic (thanks again Dad) and so I have stuck with my theory and have always found it to bear fruit more often than not.  Afterall, it can't hurt to ask.  So it is with great delight that today I received a phone call from the Harley Street Clinic Cancer Centre confirming that they would be bringing the start date of my treatment programme forward to the beginning of next week, instead of 10 October. And all because I asked.  Well, I say asked.  I petitioned all of the nurses, radiologists and medical people I came across at the centre last Friday, and for good measure hunted down a couple of consultants over the weekend to make my case for sooner rather than later to them as well. And it has paid off.  Although the exact date and time is yet to be confirmed, my very happy thought for today is that if you don't ask, you don't get.  I always knew I was right. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment