About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Thursday 29 September 2011

Harley's Angels

Last week at the Harley Street Clinic Cancer Centre I met a real life Angel.  Her name was Carol and she works for MacMillan Cancer Support.  Ever since this whole debacle began I have been very nervous about speaking to anyone from any support group.  This is not because I don't think I need any support from such people, I know I do, but because I didn't want anyone talking to me in a way which might break my positivity.  Angel Carol, however, clearly knew how to capture my immediate attention;  her opening gambit was "I bet you could do with a relaxing aromatherapy treatment". And I really could.

Carol sat down with me for about ten minutes, brought me a cup of peppermint tea and explained what services the MacMillan Group and Harley Street offered to patients like me as well as to my family and close friends.  They have a library of "infactmation" which is there to answer all the questions I have about the disease, the treatments and the recovery.  There is a team of nurses on hand to answer any questions I may have, as well as provide a smiling face, a listening ear and a cup of something warm and comforting.  In addition  there are qualified counsellors who are available to go through anything and everything with me should I want them to do so.  And then there are some therapists who will provide light relief from the ardours of treatment programmes in the form of aromatherapy, massages, reflexology and reiki.

This is just what MacMillan do at the Harley Street Clinic.  In hospitals across the land similar services are available, as well as nurses for home care, round the clock support on the end of a phone, networks of experts and other people with experiences like mine willing to share their views in the hope it will help someone else and much, much more.

As it happens, tomorrow is MacMillan Cancer Support's Worlds Biggest Coffee Morning. It is a fundraiser to generate awareness of their work as well as much needed funds to support all of the things listed above. The link here http://coffee.macmillan.org.uk will take you to their coffee morning page, or if that doesn't work just type MacMillan Coffee Morning into Google and you will find it.  There are lots of events already organised and so maybe you are already taking part.  I am coming to this a little late, but I plan on spending this afternoon making some cakes so that tomorrow, which is a busy visitor day in East Dulwich, everyone who comes by can have some cake with their beverages, and put some money in a home made collection box for this marvellous cause.

So tomorrow morning at 11am, I ask you to take a break from what you are doing, and with those around you grab a cup of coffee, tea, lemonade or warm milk as you prefer.  Maybe treat yourselves to a biscuit or even a cupcake.  And stick a couple of quid each into an envelope and send it in to MacMillan.  After all, my aromatherapy is not going to pay for itself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment