About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Monday 19 December 2011

Sleeping beauty

If the fairy tales are to be believed then I should be very beautiful judging by the amount of sleep I've been getting in the last week. The mirror however seems to suggest otherwise. I also think that the large quantity of shut eye which my body has been demanding has started to influence what my brain thinks is real and otherwise. In short I am getting confused about things that have really happened and those that I have dreamt up during a drug infused doze.

An example of this fine line between imagination and reality happened on Friday morning when my overly glamourous pilot Amiga K arrived on my doorstep to say hello. As I was still in the sleepy phase post chemo, I had not long since got out of bed and so needed 10 mins to throw some clothes on and sort myself out. By the time I got back downstairs, I found Amiga K clattering around in the kitchen dressed for a night out in her patent heels, silver eye shaddow and my domestic goddess apron using every available surface to mix up some pastry and in the full throws of making mince pies.(Some people may be thinking this sounds like a bizarre kinky fantasy but believe me it is not!!) This vision of surrealness did turn out to be real as weird as it might sound but was just not a scene I was expecting particularly because the night before Mr Man and I had spent ages tidying up the kitchen as our cleaners were due to come on Friday. I don't think I hid my dismay very well, but in any case Amiga K did clear up after herself and in the nick of time before the cleaners arrived. And she left me with a tin of mince pies to feed subsequent visitors and they are very much real.

Another very real event is that Mr Man has now finished work for Christmas and so today we have escaped with the woof dog from the hustle and bustle of the city to spend a few days by the seaside in our castle. After last time we have arranged for the boiler to be serviced tomorrow so that should bean end to any nasty heating related surprises and we are hoping to get the chimney swept so we can bravely use the wood burning stove which will be very festive and cosy since it is so cold outside. Hopefully this time around we will have a more successful trip and I'll be in a better state to enjoy the fresh air and seaside scenery. Fingers and toes are all crossed.

So, our Christmas is now officially beginning. This is a very happy thought as I love Christmas and normally get very festive at this time of year. On the outside it might not look like we are too much in the spirit as we chose not to have a tree. This decision was based on the facts that we are not at home for Christmas and had planned a few days here this week, plus the obvious obstacles presented by the chemo treatment. We still have fairy lights in the trees outside and these give a festive impression to our home which is good enough for me given the circumstances. Another happy thought is that this week Mr Man and I should get to spend lots of quality time together away from home and the interruptions of his work and my hospital interventions. It should be a good chance to reconnect and relax, as well as celebrating the recent news that its not just my thighs which are shrinking as a result of all this chemotherapy. I'm looking forward to it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment