About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Saturday 17 December 2011

Going up town to see the lights

So, it's one week until Christmas Eve. How exciting! Unfortunately I have spent most of this week asleep so it has sort of crept up on me a bit. I have all but one present left to buy and even that is pretty much under control now. This just leaves the normally enjoyable task of wrapping them, subject to finding some wrapping paper and the motivation to do it. Hopefully once this is done, I'll be feeling a lot more Christmassy.

I have had quite a few visits up into town recently, so I've had lots of opportunity to see the various sets of Christmas lights up and around in the west end of London. We also had a drive by past Trafalgar Square to see the famous Norwegian tree. It was on one of these Christmas light viewings that I had to have a CT scan with contrast dye. The way that this particular scan is described is as being a dynamic X-ray which feels like a 'hot flush' when the contrast dye which shows up the abnormalities. Well, whoever described it as such has almost certainly never had either a hot flush or indeed a CT scan, as to say it was a bit like a hot flush does not come close!! The best way in which I can describe the quite frankly hideous sensation which over came me would be to say it felt like my blood was being set on fire in my veins culminating in my heart feeling like it was exploding. Overall suffice to say it was not pleasant. It is no surprise therefore that even after all of my recent sleep I still needed a big lie down when I got home to get over the whole ordeal.

Despite the distress of the ordeal, we have now had the results of the nasty CT scan, and the upshot is, it's all shrinking. Everything is on track to beat this thing which is reassuring. I'm just looking forward to being awake and alert enough to celebrate this milestone. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my naps. And believing myself healthy and pain free.

No comments:

Post a Comment