About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Monday 7 November 2011

It's always sunny in my house

What a grey and dreary day it is today.  I have had to have the lights on indoors since about 12 noon which is never a good thing.  So, today I cannot get my positivity from a good dose of vitamin D and so I will have to find something else to give me that happy feeling inside that I normally get from seeing the bright blue sky through a window and feeling the beams of sunlight as they bounce off every surface. But what should it be?

The truth is that I have so many things to be positive about every day that picking out just one to talk about is often a challenge.  Is an email from a long lost friend any more positive than a full nights sleep without extra painkillers?  Or is the fact that the plumber who came to fix the toilet which seems to have miraculously fixed itself in the last week didn't even consider charging me for his time (amazing I know!!) more of a positive than the fact that I am only today having to take off the nail varnish from recent manicure I had, meaning that it lasted over two weeks, which as any girl (and some boys) will know is a fairly long time in the world of nail varnish? Who knows, but I think today's positive thought will be that today I feel surprisingly normal. I had a fabulous lie in which has left me feeling refreshed and alert, and I have not had to take as many break through pain killers as on other days.  I looked in the mirror this morning and saw a slim(ish!) healthly looking person wearing flattering yet comfortable clothes.  To be honest I am almost having to remind myself that I am less than 100% in perfect health.  I am itching to get out and do lots of interesting things, and have a strong feeling of activity about me.  I have cleared one of our spare rooms which had been a general dumping ground, and have decided to make it into a relaxing calming space where I can practice Reiki and Meditations undisturbed.  I am also working my way down my to do list in terms of early Christmas planning, a few bits of home improvement and catching up on correspondence whislt singing along to the radio.  To me these are good things to be doing (although Mr Man for one would describe them as abhorent chores to be avoided at all costs) as they reflect normality and believe it or not I like doing them.

So it may be dull and grey and outside, but in my house it is bright, cheerful and perky, just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment