About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Monday 14 November 2011

Stand and deliver

Well as we are now officially in mid November it is acceptable to have started Christmas shopping. And so I have. The beauty of spending so much time at home is that I am in to take delivery of anything I should buy on the Internet. I have of course got a list of people and presents although I still need to think of a few more suitable presents for some more tricky recipients.

My next round of chemo starts this week and so I have had a recent flurry of deliveries to make sure I don't miss any knocks on the door when I revert to my hibernating state which is due to ensue for about a week after the treatment finishes. Today, being the last day when I don't have to go up into town (tomorrow I need to have a blood test in anticipation of Wednesdays round 3, to make sure that all the relevant cell counts are back to normal) was therefore quite hectic but by 4pm all expected arrivals had been counted in. This is especially good news as unless the delivery drivers are able to leave with a neighbour, to recover a parcel from the majority of these delivery companies can be quite challenging, involving either a drive to the local delivery centre, dubiously located on an industrial estate which is at least 45 mins drive from my home so hardly local, or dealing with an automated call centre to try and re-arrange delivery using only yes and no voice commands and pressing the numbers of the keypad.

So, from now until the next awake phase scheduled for around 26 November, I will be merely browsing and bookmarking my outstanding purchases ready to order in time for Christmas and delivery in my next awake window. Plus it gives me a chance to have a good think about what to get those tricky recipients mentioned earlier.

So the positive thoughts for today are that I'm feeling very pleased with myself for having made such a cracking start to my Christmas shopping, I am also pleased to have got through my latest awake stage without being too bored, and I've got a week full of visitors for all three of this week's chemo sessions lined up and booked in. Bring on round 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment