About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Wednesday 16 November 2011

It is better to give than to receive

Today was the start of the third cycle of chemotherapy which means I have done 50% of the long days on this part of the treatment programme.  This is very good news as it means we are half way to beating this disease on stage one of the battle of the abdomen.  Given how fast time seems to be flying, I am sure it won't be long before we are on the last cycle.  The only fly in the ointment on this cycle is that apparently for some reason my red blood count has not recovered as much as it should have since round 2 and so in order to ensure that I can cope with the chemicals in round 3, I have to have a blood transfusion tomorrow which is not a thought I relish.  My Dad used to give blood, and was always telling us that we should also give blood but I am afraid to say I have never been able to do it.  I am still not so good with the needles, and so the idea of giving blood voluntarily made be have the involuntary reaction of bending my elbows to protect them from any invading needles.  Obviously now I am not able to give blood so was relieved to hear that Lil Sis goes regularly and so the family account is in credit.  I also saw a friend, Nice E, for dinner the other night who goes regularly as well to top up the country's blood bank and she said she would also be happy for me to have her blood and so I feel better about the fact I have never been, but am going to be taking on this occasion.

It was quite a long day today and tomorrow promises to be long as well as each bag of blood (and there are two of them) takes two hours to filter in, and so I am off to bed soon, happy in the thought that my A+ blood is going to be topped up by such kind souls as Lil Sis and Nice E.  Thank you both and all the other good people who give blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment