About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Tuesday 10 January 2012

No January blues here

January is ticking by and already the days are starting to look a little longer which is a big positive.  Now we just need to get rid of some of the cloud which is making everything look so drab and dull and we will have ourselves the makings of a nice day worth getting out of bed for. I've also always felt fairly protective over January however as lots of people seem to think it is a terrible month full of dull misery after the festive season.  This has always perturbed me since the only reason some people find January less exciting than any other month is because they make it so, by being miserable and telling themselves everything is dull.  In addition, to a general belief in the fact that you make your own destiny (if you tell yourself you're having a rubbish month, then you will do), my birthday is in January and so I spend the whole month looking forward to that, and so how can I possibly think of it as a below par month?

My recovery from the last round of chemo has taken longer than the last due to the cumulative effects of the treatment, but I am now starting to feel more awake and a little stronger which is a big plus.  Today I made it to the Blue Mountain cafe with G for a pot of tea which was a very pleasant way to spend the afternoon.  Yesterday, my Mum came to visit again and she also managed to get me out as far as the same cafe where Mum had a spot of lunch and I enjoyed a banana milkshake, which was again a nice way to spend an afternoon. Tomorrow, I have no plans as such but I am setting myself a goal to get out of the house and make it as far as one of the local cafe's for a sit down and a cup of tea.  It may not sound much but everything is taken a small step at a time at the moment.

It is also not long to go until Mr Man and I go on our reward holiday to the glorious Maldives. It has however come to my attention that due to my recent reduction in size and scale, I don't really have any clothes that fit me, including everything from underwear to outerwear. So, due to my incapacity to get out and about very far to actually visit any shops, I have this afternoon spent some time on the wonderous internet doing some shopping for basic clothing items from the ever reliable Marks and Spencer so I have something to put into my case when we go away, which does not look like ill fitting hand me downs. This is very exciting, as I now have something to look forward to in the form of a parcel being delivered from M&S with much needed new pants.  I just hope it arrives before the next sleepy phase kicks in so I don't miss the knock at the front door, as a holiday with no clothes would be quite frankly a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment