About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Saturday 4 February 2012

It's all a bit of an anticlimax really...

It has been a bit of a strange day, today. I woke up early for me with a strange desire to get up and go to cafe mon petit chou in East Dulwich for breakfast. Most specifically, for some grilled hallumi cheese. This is odd in that I normally don't fancy food in he mornings and also it was a very specific want. So, off I went and since my visit to the wig shop on Monday I have been sporting one of my two new hats which I have now decided are a necessity with the current rate of decline in volume and the excessive cold temperatures we are experiencing at present. The hat thing has shown me though that when it comes to short hair less is more in some cases, as even though it is mostly covered the few bits that tick out at the bottom look terrible and in fact draw attention to the fact I am having follicle issues. So, at some point over breakfast I decided to have it all chopped off and styled short , like a boy. This is a major break though mentally after an incident as a child when my sister had very short hair (although not as short as mine is now) and a particularly cruel neighbour knocked on the or and asked my mum who his little boy was, referring to my devastated younger sister who must only have been about 6 or 7 at the time. For many, many reasons I hope Lil Sis never has to experience even a fraction of what I've been through in the last 6 months, or anyone else for that matter, but due to the one comment alone, the cutting off of all her hair would be the hardest thing to take, and for this reason I doubt she will ever have her hair cut above the jawline again.  I was only a witness to this episode but it has scarred me enough to still recall it some 26 or so years later.

So, I found myself walking into a fairly newly opened hair dressers which is marketed as the clipper for women and children, so I figured that since I wanted a short cut but not really a style as it will be mostly under hats,  and have had all my hair cut off to try and minimise the psychological impacts of it thinning every time I touch it.  It wasn't until I got into bed just now however that I first had a proper good look at it. It doesn't look too bad. It is a bit flattened from having been under hats all day, but as that is where it will stay that is not an issue. And I feel surprisingly ok about it. My new order of cotton hats arrived today with accessories to jazz them up so I have some choice in what to wear,  and Mr Man didn't look too horrified when I revealed my new look this evening on his arrival home from work. 

The plan is that I can manage with hats until after the maldives and when I have an appointment with the wig lady who is sorting me out with a couple of wig options to alternate with the hats until everything gets back follicularly on track. Bonanza! 

So, from cheese to hair to hats its been quite a day.Even if it does feel a little underwhelming to have made such a big decision and action regarding my hair. The positives are that I had enough appetite to eat breakfast, and made an assertive decision, as much as they were that I had such a big chop and lived to tell the tale.  Bring on tomorrow which is holiday packing, and a snowy lunch. 

Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment