About Me

My photo
East Dulwich, London, United Kingdom
To me the glass is always at least half full. This was not always the case but over the past few years I have started to learn just how brilliant the human mind and body are. In September 2011 at the age of 34 and after 4 months of extensive medical invasion and severe abdominal pain, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Cervical Cancer. I have too much on my to do list to be thwarted by such a cowardly disease, so I am using positive thinking and all my mental and physical toughness to win, as I really don't like losing. During the long and painful diagnosis phase, many friends said that they didn't know how I could be so calm and strong. To be honest, looking back neither do I, but I am starting this blog to capture my feats of positivity whilst I beat this pesky disease.

Sunday 19 February 2012

The great escape

The Maldives are a beautiful group of hundreds of islands off the southwest coast of India, and they are stunning. Well I say that, we've only actually been to one (two if you could the one where the airport is) but if Cocoa Island is anything to go by then yes stunning is a good word to describe them. We have white sand and turquoise sea in abundance and aside from a brief inclement interlude on day 2 the weather has been lovely. 

This is my reward. My treat for getting through 6 gruelling courses of chemotherapy. Almost as a way to signify the end of the treatment my hair has all but fallen out and I am still suffering from sickness to various degrees but I am determined not to let that get get in the way of a lovely holiday. We chose cocoa island because it was reviewed as a romantic get away, a tranquil spa treat and a luxurious escape from reality. It is indeed all of those things. So, it is a little confusing to try to comprehend why anyone would bring their kids here. Yes, they can snorkel but other than that it must be pretty dull for the kids and very expensive for the grown ups. There may only be 2 young families here but their presence is significantly noticeable when they are nearby. And even when they are not nearby, in fact, as despite arriving a,t the pool very early this morning many of the sun loungers had already been coveted by invisible people who had left their shoes, hats or even life jackets on them.  Not only do I find this very rude but I am also disappointed that the resort staff do no stop it, as others were turning up actively trying to settle onto beds that weren't available.

Anyway, rant over as the big positive of the presence of these families was the existence of a children's menu in the restaurant which meant I could at least get some plain food and in a smaller format, thus reducing the amount of wasted food as well. Whilst I still couldn't eat much, it was a relief to be faced with a bowl of pasta and tomato sauce or a plain margarita pizza than something too rich and fancy. Mr Man didn't go without though which again was a big plus point. After all the way to a mans heart is invariably through his stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment